For Immediate Release
October 14, 2020
And We’re Live!
To Benefit Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and the American Cancer Society in Second Life.
From October 14th to October 28th, 2020!
Welcome to the 2020 SciFi Expo! We are so excited to share what we’ve been working on, but so much more excited to see everything our exhibitors have put together, go to all of the events, and most importantly have some fun! So what are you waiting for?
Make sure to keep an eye out for mini-Rockets in booths around the Expo! You might just find some free goodies in them!
Some booths may have more than one so be sure to look around closely!
(Participating booths are marked by a hunt sign that you can click for a clue about where to find the Rocket in that booth.)
Make sure to check out our shopping guide to see all of the exclusives items being sold throughout the Expo!
This year we are expanding our awards categories so that you can vote for more of your favorite things! The categories are:
- Top Fundraiser: Awarded to the top exhibits that raise the most Lindens through the official SciFi Expo donation kiosks and vendors. (To qualify, you must have and be using a provided SciFi Expo donation kiosk/vendor in your booth.)
- Favorite Exhibit: Awarded to the most popular exhibits
- Favorite Event: Awarded to the most popular events that are held during the Expo.
- Favorite Gift: Awarded to exhibits who give the most popular gifts in the 2020 Rocket Hunt. (To qualify, the exhibit must participate in the Rocket Hunt and give away a free item.)
- Favorite Theme: Awarded to the most popular region theme.
We also have two awards that will be voted on by the Staff, those are:
- Best in Theme: Awarded to the top 3 exhibits that best embrace their regions theme. This award is awarded per region due its nature.
- Best Overall Message: Awarded to exhibits that present accurate and detailed information about Breast Cancer in an effort to raise awareness.
Make sure to vote for your favorites: Vote Here
All awards unless stated otherwise consist of a top 3 tiered ranking system. Winners will be announced during the closing ceremonies on October 28th.
Credits & Thanks
While we may of just opened, none of this would have been possible without the work and effort of an amazing group of people who’ve dedicated their time and effort to help create this event.
- Benjamin Brougham (Lead Admin, and Coordinator)
- Benjamin Balan (benjaminbalan2)
- Harleen Quinzel (thedamed.spore)
- Lan Nakajima
- Lazlow Core
- Melina Firehawk (Events Coordinator)
- TeeKay Darkstone
- Utopia Region: Benjamin Balan
- Gallifrey: TeeKay Darkstone
- Pacifica: Lan Nakajima, and Benjamin Brougham
- Cloud City: Taroseer, and Benjamin Brougham
- The Void: Taroseer
- Mesh Artist: Lone Wanderer
Marketing & Design
- Graphic & Brand Design: Benjamin Brougham
- Website Design, and Design Consultant: Benjamin Balan (benjaminbalan2)
- Design Consultant: Harleen Quinzel (thedamed.spore)
- PR & Marketing Assistant: Evelyn Colling Zelenko
American Cancer Society in Second Life Associates
- Volunteer Ambassador to the American Cancer Society in SL: Stingray9798 Raymaker
- Hope Haven Lead, and Making Strides SL Organizer: Sandie Slate (sandie.loxingly)
- And so many more!
YOU! Yes you too! Without the support of our exhibitors, events, guests and more this event simply would not be possible, and so from everyone on the SciFi Expo team we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking time to come and participate in our event.
The SL SciFi Expo is a charity fundraising event based in Second Life. Originally founded in 2017 to succeed the SciFi Faire and benefit Relay For Life, the event went on to hold two mega-events in 2017, and 2018, and two smaller holiday centric events also in 2017, and 2018.
About the American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society is a global grassroots force of 2.5 million volunteers saving lives and fighting for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community. As the largest voluntary health organization, the Society’s efforts have contributed to a 22 percent decline in cancer death rates in the U.S. since 1991, and a 50 percent drop in smoking rates. Thanks in part to our progress; 14.5 million Americans who have had cancer and countless more who have avoided it will celebrate more birthdays this year. We’re determined to finish the fight against cancer. We’re finding cures as the nation’s largest private, not-for-profit investor in cancer research, ensuring people facing cancer have the help they need and continuing the fight for access to quality health care, lifesaving screenings, clean air, and more. For more information, to get help, or to join the fight, call us anytime, day or night, at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
About Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is the American Cancer Society’s premier event to raise awareness and funds to fight breast cancer. But it’s more than just the name of a walk – it describes the amazing progress we’re making together to defeat this disease. Since 1993, 4 million walkers have raised more than $280 million through Making Strides. In 2007 alone, nearly 500,000 walkers across the country collected more than $50 million to help fight breast cancer. Learn more