April 2, 2021
Terms & Conditions and Guidelines
1) General Rules
- All content for the SL SciFi Expo must conform to a moderate rating. Absolutely no adult content is permitted (this includes pictures, and demo’s – note that Skin Vendors may request permission from the Coordination team to portray tasteful nudity.) Sale of adult furniture is acceptable so long as demo’s are not rezzed and the vendor advertisements are not explicit in nature. If you are unsure whether or not you fall into any of these categories please contact one of our Coordinators for verification.
- Any form of political and/or election advertising/endorsement of any kind is not allowed. Any political advertising will be returned to the owner and can result in removal from the Expo. It is important to the Expos integrity that it is seen as an impartial party free from perceptions of political bias. Opening up the system to political advertising could invite spurious claims and nuisance complaints that may cause disruption to the normal Expo process and add an inappropriate drain on limited administration resources.
- Offensive or Derogatory advertisements/assets, that are not permitted within the guideline’s of Linden Lab Terms of Service, such as but not limited to hate speech, cyber bullying and other defamatory remarks, will be returned to the owner and can result in expulsion from the Expo.
- Any person(s) found to be actively engaging in griefing within Expo grounds will be ejected and may result in a ban, in this case you will have your objects returned.
- In the event an exhibit requires transfer of ownership the Expo permits one transfer to be reviewed by a member of the administration. If the administration approves the transfer the previous owner rescinds any rights to the exhibit.
- As an event that is setup to raise awareness and funding for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Second Life we do not offer refunds and after registration/sponsorship donations are paid, they are non-refundable; no exceptions are made.
- In the event of any termination hereunder, the Exhibitor shall not be entitled to any refund of any donations made by Exhibitor.
- In the case of trolling, griefing, or disruption of an event occurs the Expo reserves the right to eject and/or ban the perpetrator(s) for the duration of the event or in cases which demand a higher punishment permanently.
- Neither the Strides Logo, nor the American Cancer Society Logo can be placed on any item for sale, it can however be used on items given away as freebies.
2) Rules Regarding Intellectual Property
- The SL SciFi Expo is an event that supports Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Second Life. This means that all of the rules that Making Strides and the Linden Lab Terms of Service must be adhered to at all times. Linden Lab has a clear policy on Intellectual Property available to the public.
- Any items that creators bring to the SL SciFi Expo must legally be theirs to sell. All assets must either have been made by the creator, and/or if created in part with help of another creator or full permission resource must adhere to their respective EULA’s or a public domain asset.
- Any items that are sourced from a third party source must be in compliance with their EULA, the same goes for items created with the help of full permission resource kits from the Marketplace.
- If an asset is reported to the administration of the SL SciFi Expo, either having been stolen, ripped (copybotted), or otherwise an investigation will be launched into the validity of the claims. If an item is found to have been stolen or ripped we cannot in good conscience allow the item to remain at the event.
- Any items brought to the SL SciFi Expo must not infringe on anybody’s intellectual property. If the design is symbolic, or an artistic work belonging to someone else, recreating it does not make it yours. If you are unsure whether or not your item(s) falls under fair use please refer to Linden Lab’s Intellectual Property statement.
- In the event that a resident claims that an asset has been ripped (copybotted) we as an organization cannot act as a judge, and will recommend for you to file a DMCA. After a DMCA is filed, the Expo will make a decision whether or not the item can stay. Note: this only applies to resident vs. resident cases in which we cannot possibly know who is in the right or wrong. This does not apply to IP infringement or cases of ripping assets from games or third party sites as those are typically blatantly obvious.
- In the event of a situation that involves violation of either the Linden Lab Terms of Service or their Intellectual Property statement we are obligated to report it.
3) Building Guidelines
- To decrease lag, and improve the overall experience for our guests we require that Creators minimize their script usage (NO highly scripted items, or temporary rezzers.) We also hold the preference that any texture’s use the dimensions of 512×512, especially vendor images. It should be considered that any texture higher then 512×512 takes longer to load in and that of a 1024×1024 texture uses four times the among of memory then that of a 512×512, which affects the load times and frame rates of our guests. For more information see our script load policy.
- The preference for texture dimensions are 512×512, especially in vendor images. The higher the texture resolution, the longer textures take to rez. It should be borne in mind that these high-res textures have a cumulative effect: each 1024×1024 texture uses four times the memory of a 512×512 texture, which affects load times and frame rates for our visitors.
4) Merchant Requirements
- Merchants must provide a minimum of 2 New Semi-Exclusive items to be sold in provided SL SciFi Expo vendors with 100% of the proceeds going to Making Strides.
- Semi-Exclusive for the purpose of the SL SciFi Expo means that it may not be sold elsewhere before or during the event (October 8 – October 18), but may be sold for profit after the event has concluded.
- The 2 Semi-Exclusive items must maintain the same quality of work that you sell in your own vendors.
- While we only require the minimum of 2 New Semi-Exclusive items to be set to our Strides vendors, we do encourage creators to have additional vendors out that benefit the charity.
- All donation kiosks, and donation vendors must utilize the official SciFi Expo toolkit provided by the event.
Please ensure that your 2 New Semi-Exclusive 100% donation items and any item sold in the Strides vendors are of the same current and high quality as items you sell in your own store vendors. Not only is the reputation of the Expo reflected in what you sell, but your store is as well. We reserve the right to ask for items to be replaced if we find them of significant lower quality than items in your own store vendors.
5) Disclaimers, & Community Standards
- All persons, behavior, and objects at the SL SciFi Expo must follow the Linden Labs Terms of Service and the Second Life Community Standards.
- We reserve the right to deny any applications without explanation. You will be notified should your registration be denied.
- After registration/sponsorship donations are paid, they are non-refundable; no exceptions are made.
- By registering for the SL SciFi Expo, you agree that you have read, fully understand and accept all policies, terms & conditions, guideline’s and disclaimers governing the event.
- The SL SciFi Expo as an organization reserves the right to remove items and/or exhibits/exhibitors should any of rules be broken. These situations are handled on a case-by-case basis.